Suggestions and TipsMEC 3 SUGGESTIONS FOR CONSERVING AND MAKING GOOD GELATO
In order to obtain ideal creaminess and a first-rate conservation of Gelato in the tub, all the different ingredients must be well balanced with each other. The base components of Gelato are:
AIR which gives the softness to the Gelato and protects it from sudden changes in temperature;
LIQUIDS melt the solids (sugars, fats, milk solids, etc.) allowing the mixture when cold to transform into Gelato;
SOLIDS absorb the liquids and give body to the Gelato.
We identify the solids as follows:
SUGAR sweetens and enhances the structure of the Gelato and also serves as an antifreeze.
FATS, give body and creaminess to the Gelato;
The BASES and STABILIZERS stabilize the liquids and disperse the fats, promoting the incorporation of air in the Gelato, increasing the resistance to sudden changes in temperatures and lengthening the process of dripping.
PRINCIPAL DEFECTS OF THE GELATO, CAUSES AND POSSIBLE REMEDIES.
THE GELATO CRYSTALLIZES EASILYCause : - mixture with few solids;
- frozen mixture still hot or not matured;
- Gelato has been in showcase for too long and has undergone sudden changes in temperature.
- Freeze the mixture when it is cold and possibly mature it;
- Do not allow the Gelato to undergo sudden changes of temperature and try to keep it in the showcase for no longer than 1 or 2 days.
THE GELATO IS GRITTYCause : - too many solids;
Remedies : - reduce the solids;
- Reduce the low fat powdered milk that may have been added;
- Increase the liquids;
- Avoid sudden changes of temperature in the showcase.
THE GELATO BECOMES SOFT IN THE TUBCause : - Too much sugar in the mixture;
- Presence of alcohol in the Gelato;
- Conservation temperature of the showcase insufficient.
- control with a thermometer that the temperature of preservation is correct(-14°, - 16°)
- Control that the showcase functions correctly.
THE GELATO FORMS A POOL (here and there, liquid appears):Cause : - neutral is insufficient and mixture is not well stabilized;
- short or insufficient maturation, therefore the stabilizers have not had sufficient time to react;
- few solids;
- too much sugar.
Remedies : - reduce the sugars and increase the solids;
- leave the mixture to mature /rest ;
- use the neutrals in the correct quantity
THE GELATO BECOMES GLOSSY AND RUBBERY ON THE SURFACE.Cause : - too many proteins;
- too many stabilizers;
- the top layer of the gelato has become dry and therefore the proteins are concentrated more on the surface.
- Using the spatula now and again bring the moist Gelato in the tub from underneath to the surface.
THE GELATO BECOMES DRY AND IT’S NOT POSSIBLE TO USE THE SPATULACAUSE : - too many solids;
- too many proteins;
- too many fats;
- insufficient maturation.
Using semi-finished pastes rich in fats or proteins, which can unbalance the mixture, before adding them to the mixture, dissolve them in a quantity equal to the hot milk.